Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Bill Maher


I seldom watch tv shows regularly. I never was able to become a fan of "The Sopranos" or "Six Feet Under" or any other HBO shows. I get tired of characters and situations and, quite frankly' I rather watch a movie in which things wrap up in a couple of hours. But I do watch a show every week. Real Time with Bill Maher. I always end up laughing at a moment or two, and there's always an interesting comment here and there.

But I admit I'm getting a bit tired of the show. The pounding on the Republicans on the show, for instance. I don't agree with 95% of their positions, but they are never given a chance to truly express themselves. Maher many times crosses the line into meanness, which is not such a bad thing, but he does it so frequently it stops being funny.

I will keep watching it though. For "New Rules" and for a couple of regular guests that make the show worthwhile. But I find myself wishing they would come up with something new. A right wing co-host. Anything. Just something that will keep it from slowly turning into a comedy version of the Rachel Maddow show.Which is where it is going. A place that one day will be too predictable and boring to visit.

No comments: