Monday, May 15, 2006

the story of marie and julien


There are slow moving movies and then there is this. By the way, I love slow moving films. I love all the Eric Rohmer French talkfests. But tbis one was not only slow moving, but pretentious. It forgets that movies, no matter how artsy, have to entertain.They have to make us care. This movie is about two people in a house. The man is a clock repairman so he spends the whole movie repairing this one clock. (symbolism?).The woman spends the whole movie arranging the old house and placing things in suitcases, even though sheis going nowhere (symbolism?). Well, I musy admit I only saw about an hour and a half of this 2.5 hour snoozefest. Not even Emmanuelle Beart could keep me awake. In fact I had the best night of sleep in quite a while after watching this. So maybe there is a point to this movie.

No comments: