Monday, January 30, 2006

Merry widow



There is a very personal side to this movie that I was finally able to catch on Turner Classic Movies. When I was a kid, my grandmother would always talk about this movie. It was her favorite. She would tell me "Such and such a movie is good. But I wish I could see 'The Merry Widow' again. These were the days before 500 channel cable tv and the VCR was just beginning. So if a movie was not on one of the few local channels, you could never see it. So she never saw "The Merry Widow" again. So last night It was on TCM and I had to see it. I wanted to watch it and see what she saw in that movie. Try to figure out what made it special. And I really enjoyed the movie, it's romantic and kind of corny, but with a sense of humor too. I loved the movie. And, most important, while watching it I felt close to my abuelita who left this world 28 years ago.

No comments: