Friday, June 09, 2006

The sports event-party begins


The biggest party-sport event in the world begins today. I am not a big soccer fan, but it's hard not to get involved in all the excitement. Years ago, when the Cup was held in the United States, I went to a couple of games in Chicago to see Spain play. It was a truly exciting time. The fans at the CUp are unlike any other fans, there's more in play than a simple game, it's their national pride that is at stake.
Another time when the Cup was held I was in Majorca and well, you had to stay clear of pubs full of English tourists, they were the rudest people in the world. And another time, when Brazil won I was in Miami and there was an improvised parade around Miami Beach. I don't have to tell you that it featured the sexiest women in the world wearing next to nothing. Quite an unforgettable day.
This year I won't be traveling around the time of the Cup.I'll catch some games on ESPN and Univision. Most of them are during working hours, which is a shame. In this kind of things I usually root for the underdog. So you won't catch me rooting for Brazil, Germany or Argentina.I'm going for Spain(a great team that NEVER wins), the United States (wouldn't the Europeans be pissed if the USA won!!!) and of course, Trinidad and Tobago, the million to one shot.
One more thing , thank god, there's no Ricky Martin song for this World Cup!!!!!

3 comments:

carol said...

exacto.. long live the underdog!

Di said...

I root for Argentina and Italy. Nadie en este mundo me puede obligar a ir por Brazil. NADIE.

France and South Korea are lookin' sharp too.

said...

nevertheless...brazil is amazing...
bom jogo!