Friday, June 02, 2006

The day I met Pacheco

When I was a kid I always wanted to go to kiddie host Pacheco's tv show. But for one reason or another, I never did. Still, his show "Cine Recreo" was still a big part of my childhood. Not only because I like the cartoons that were shown but also because I really liked Pacheco. He seemed like such a nice man. There was an honesty to him. You could tell that he really liked the kids at his show. He projected a warmth which was really special. Anyway, I grew up and although I did not watch his kiddie, I would occassionally see him while switching channels. And it was good to know kids were still enjoying his advice.

Well,one day, it must have been 1994 or so, a friend of mine tells me "let's go have some pizza, but first let me drop something at Pacheco's house." It seemed his family was friends with Pacheco. I could not believe it. I was finally going to meet Pacheco. Me, a thirty something, was finally going to see him. So we dropped by his house, he said hello to me and I was a little kid again. It was such an emotional moment, the only thing thing I could tell him was "I finally meet you.". He must have noticed how I was feeling, and he simply smiled.

Finally when were about to leave, he waved us goodbye, saying "Portense bien" (Behave well). I'll never forget that moment. Pacheco was waving goodbye to me. I waved back, feeling like the luckiest 8 year old in the world.

4 comments:

carol said...

Pacheco me parecia buena persona, unlike el Tio Nobel.

Di said...

I have the feeling I'd react the same way if I met the people behind Sesame Street.

AsharEdith said...

Aawww!!!
Such a cute story.
Pacheco was a great man. I loved his show as well. Even when I grew up I'd watch his show... and El Chavo del Ocho... Those are two classics in Puerto Rico's childhood from the 70's and 80's

ARD said...

Me encantó esta historia. Ciertamente Pacheco parecía ser mucho mejor persona que Tío Nobel- y en la realidad era así-0 he escuchado par de historias de terror de Tío Nobel.