Friday, June 23, 2006

Cool movie



Yesterday I came back from work "con el mono trepao". So I wanted to see a real "light" movie. And I mean really mindless, "I just want to relax " entertainment. So I searched through some really old DVD's I had and found "Hollywood Boulevard".

This movie has a nice story to it.Back in 1974 when Joe Dante (Gremlins) was a fledging director, he told cheapo producer Roger Corman he could make the cheapest movie ever at Corman's New World Pictures. And for $10,000 he created this movie. And it's a truly cool movie. In it a starlet called Candy(Candice Rialson) begins a career doing B movies. She goes from women in prison films to a 1950's nostalgia movie set in 2055. There's also a mad kiler on the loose, you also get Paul Bartel as a director telling Godzilla his motivation ("get the girl and trample as many people as you can"), gratuitous nudity and violence, Mary Woronov as a possibly murderous actress and an appearance by Robbie the Robot.

This film is also a reminder of B movies from the 1970's. These films were shown in drive-ins in the States and were shown here in regular movie theaters in weeks when they had no mainstream movies to show. Most of them were crap, but once in a while a gem like this one would appear.
I bought it at Borders a long time ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a true gem! la quiero ver