Wednesday, June 28, 2006

MST3K


Years ago I used to tell people that my favorite show on tv was Mystery Science Theater 3000. And 9 out 10 people looked at me as if saying "what on earth are you talking about?" Then I used to tell them "It's the show with the silhouettes watching really bad movies and commenting on it." Then some of them wold say "Oh, yes. I've seen that, flipping channels." Then they would look at me as if amazed I would like something like that.

And it's that MST3K was the ultimate cult show. And it was fun. The jokes would run from double entendres to comments about obscure rock bands. Some references you would get, some you wouldn't. It was a show that made you laugh and made you feel culturally hip at the same time.

And it gave you a chance to see really bad movies from "The Brain that wouldn't die" to oddities like a really awful sci-fi movie with Raul Julia that must have been the nadir of his career.

Unfortunately, the show ended a few years ago, but luckily they are now available on DVD. The other night I was watching an episode and remembering why I liked the show so much. Some of the pop references are kind of dated, but the magic of the show is still there. I love MST3K.

3 comments:

carol said...

yeah i liked that show, ya no dan los reruns verdad? creo q los daban en comedy central, no me acuerdo. hmm borders..

Anonymous said...

I am a super MST3k fan!!!
I used to watch it on comedy central in new york
It's awesome to know that someone else is a fan !!!

Di said...

You my friend are now my hero. ANYONE who thinks MST3K is awesome is, because it was so awesome. I miss it now. =/ If only they gave reruns...