Monday, June 05, 2006

cool place


I remember when this shop opened more than 10 years ago. This was way before Borders. When bookstores here were the likes of Thekes (remember trying to find a book there?) and Bell, Book and Candle. So I went in and suddenly I was in heaven. The place had an entire section on movie books!!!! And not only mainstream movie books. Books on film noir, Italian horror movies, Asian cinema. In there I also found amazing magazines like Video Watchdog and many more. I recall thinking that a place like this couldn't last long. It was too specialized for its own good. I was wrong.
Then Viva Video came along, the coolest video store in Puerto Rico. A place where you could find Truffaut, kung fu movies, Tinto Brass flicks and silent movies! I would never have to go to Blockbuster again.
Unfortunately, it closed down.
But Visual Arts is still open, and it's the greatest place to browse, and you always end up finding something interesting. A small book, an offbeat movie. Check it out.

1 comment:

carol said...

Thekes.. esa es una de mis primeras memorias de cuando era chiquita, ir a Thekes con mami; me acuerdo que en la caja siempre habian como dos perros and I wondered como cabian ahi, esa caja era super chiquita.