Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Reassuring movies


Last night I was changing channels and, of course, checked out what Turner Classic Movies was showing. Well, they were showing a really corny Christmas movie called "The Bishop's Wife". Well, it's a corny movie starring Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young, so it is a really good one. I had seen it maybe 20 years ago and well, I saw it again. Cary Grant plays an angel who helps the bishop realize what a good life he has.

Which takes me to the idea that we sometimes need this kind of movie. I don't believe in angels and organized religion is not my thing. But one finds reassurance in this kind of movie. It presents a simple world where good is rewarded and evil is punished. Where the good guys get help from above and live happy lives. We know it's not like that in real life but it's good to see it happen, even if its just a corny movie. Well a corny movie starring Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young.

No comments: