Saturday, August 26, 2006

one day long ago


Must have been 1976. The whole world was listening to a new thing called "disco" music. Everyone at school loved the music. All radio stations played it. Over here, rock was dead. I bought a couple of singles and I hated them. Thought there was something wrong with me. At that age, thinking different was always traumatic.

Anyway, one afternoon I was walking by Ponce De Leon Avenue and I went into the New York Department Store. In the basement there was a record store. I started browsing through the albums, one disco album after the other. Nothing new caught my attention. Then I came across "The Beatles 1967-1970". I had heard about the group, knew a couple of songs. I decided to figure out whether they were any good. Bought the album, wondering whether it was worth the investment of a double album.

Went home and played it. And for the first time, I felt an inmense joy about music. I listened to it again and again. "Hey Jude" was the one that made me a convert. What an amazing melody, what an amazing lyric to listen to. As a teen, I needed to hear that despite everything, you could make a sad song and make it better. And then "The Long and Winding Road", I knew nothing about love but I could relate to the feeling of loss in the song. I also liked "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and "Obladi, Oblada" two goofy songs I really loved. I still listen to them and feel joy.

It was quite a day of discovery, that one. The blue album had changed my life. But there was the red album to discover. I must have revisited the New York Departent Store
quite quickly after that.

2 comments:

carol said...

Mano si yo hubiera vivido en esa epoca lo mas probable hubiera ido a las discotecas a bailar esa musica, I LOVE dancing to that music, prefiero mil veces bailar musica disco/funk a bailar esa musica techno de ahora, osea algunas canciones estan cool pero que se yo, la de antes era mas bailable. Kool & the Gang, KC & the Sunshine Band, Rick James, yo daria cualquier cosa por entrar a las discotecas de moda aqui y que hubiera esa musica. Ah pues los Beatles, I like some songs pero no todas, Hey Jude es una de mis canciones favoritas though, pero hay otras que como que nunca me han podido gustar.

Anonymous said...

amo los beatles, son inmortales! y hoy, 40 aƱos despues de lanzar su primer disco, siguen sonando tan de moda y tan al dia, geniales los fab four!