Saturday, February 25, 2006

time passages


One of the most interesting and sad things about growing older is seeing places that you used to know disappear. The old movie theater. The shop around the corner where one used to buy baseball cards. One day someone decides to create a mall, an apartment building and those places from yesteryear are gone. This post is about a house that will soon be destroyed. A place where I spent many wonderful, wild hours during my teenage years. The place where I had my first beer. It was the perfect place for a party thanks to the gorgeous terrace. Since the house was owned by a shipping executive, the stairs from the second to the third floor were similar to those used to enter cruise ships. And the third floor had a maritime quality to it.

I also remember that this was place that I used to visit to listen to the latest music since my friend who lived there was always the first with the new albums. I remember listening to Jim Croce, ELO and many others.

Once my friends's family sold the house I used to look at it and reminisce about it.
That was until two years ago when a good friend moved there for a few months. It was a thrill to see the old house again. She had a party there and I was able to once again have a beer in the old third floor.

But now, the house is going to be destroyed to make way for an office building. What you see in the photo will no longer exist in a month or so. Gone. Just like that.
Damn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm....te cuento algo peor? ver que la casa donde creciste, donde pensaste que tus viejos se retirarian, la casa perfecta frente al parque, mi sitio en lima... chau, adio, ni mas: se vendio, se revendio y por ultimo la derrumbaron (no sin antes yo ir, pasearme por ella toda vacia y abandonada, ver los garabatos que deje en el closet antes de irme...felizmente no lleve camara, me moriria verla ahora) para construir un edificio de departamentos lujosos....por algun lado tengo una foto de ella, adoraba esa casa, mis viejos guardan los planos asi que si algun dia me saco la loto, te juro que la construire tal cual.