Thursday, March 17, 2011

Michael Gough RIP



It's interesting seeing today's obituaries for actor Michael Gough. They all emphasize he was Alfred the Butler in Batman movies. In a way, those will probably be the movies he'll be remembered for. But to my generation, he was a great villain in some outlandish horror movies. I remember him in many movies I saw as a child on tv, "Berserk!"and "Horrors of the Black Museum". And I'll never forget the night I went to see "Horror Hospital"with my parents at the Cinerama in Santurce. It was a truly over the top movie, full of violence, nudity. But it was Gough who stole the show as the most insane of mad villains. A couple of years ago, it finally came out on DVD and I was able to appreciate the sheer insanity of his portrayal. So, let younger audiences remember him as Alfred, to me, he'll always be the loony guy from "Horror Hospital".

No comments: