Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The old books


Ever since I was a little kid I had seen the Shakespeare books in my parent's library. They were wonderful 1923 editions from Yale University. The kind of book binding you don't see anymore. I remember browsing them as a child and knowing how special they were.
Last month my parents decided to clean up the place and they told me whether I wanted the books. I inmediately said yes. I placed them in a bag and said I would take them to my apartment later. Well, I forgot about it for a month. And yesterday when I went to look for them, they were not there. The cleaning lady had mistook them for trash and had thrown them away.
I know it's silly to cry for books, but I felt such sorrow. This books are something I wanted to remember by father by. His love for reading. His love for Shakespeare. The thought of these books being taken away by a garbage truck was truly painful.

Well, I figured I should look for them. Maybe the garbage truck had not passed by my parent's house. I looked through all the bags. Nothing. Suddenly I looked in the bottom of a garbage can and there they were. I almost cried from the joy of it. The books were there.

I took them to my apartment today. I smelled their wonderful "old book" fragrance.
I was the happiest man on earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

casi me da un infarto!!!!
mi madre le dio por limpiar un dia y para mala suerte, me boto todos mis libros de mi niñez, TODOS!!!!! la queria ahorcar te juro, yo que soy coleccionista de cachibaches antiguos, no me puedo desprender de nada viejo que tenga algun sigificado, tengo mi casa llena de cosas viejas que ADORO: una maquina de escribir underwood (la misma de schindler's list!!), la primera camara de fotos de mi papa, una casita del trencito de juguete de mi papa cuando tenia tres años (es una maravilla oxidada!), un reloj de cuerda de mi abuelo, los pasaportes de mis abuelos de su juventud, una libreta de direcciones data de los 40 de mi abuelo....y eso que en la mudanza perdi miles de scrapbooks...amo los recuerdos!!! lucky you my friend, lucky you...