Sunday, December 17, 2006

Apocalypto


I wasn't sure whether I wanted to see this movie, but I went to see it today. This is the kind of movie that creates mixed feelings. It is extremely well made, the acting is excellent (these people were all non-actors!!!), one gets involved in the story. And there are scenes such as the one featuring the sacrifices that are extremely effective.

But suddenly one realizes one is watching every action cliche in the book simply set in a different place and time. The wild animal chase, the jumping off a waterfall etc. But maybe that's the whole point, this is an old fashioned adventure movie and that's all. A Mayan Indiana Jones.

As for the violence, well, it's not as terrible as some critics make you think. Plus, it doesn't really shock you in the context of an adventure movie.

2 comments:

ARD said...

A mi me encantó!!!

Unknown said...

no me gusto que mataran a la pantera ya que mataron tambien al pobre huerfanito....excelente cinematografia!