Monday, September 18, 2006

Seduced and abandoned


I have never been a big fan of Italian comedies. I don't like the broad humor in them and sight of actors trying so hard to be funny. But I read this one was diferent. It's about a man whose daughter gets pregnant and the crazy steps he takes to save his daughter's and his family's "honor". It's a movie that pokes fun at the all the absurdities of a male dominated society. It has some really dark humor and there are moments of real genius as when the son in the family, a wimpy guy, is sent to kill the father of the baby. As is usual in any Criterion Collection DVD, it is full of extras. You can become an expert on Italian cinema just watching them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Italian TV is odd, I often watch it for some inexplicable reason, I dont even speak the language but the people are so expressive. There is never any question of what the content of the discussion is. Everyone is beautiful, there are guys in uniforms everywhere and yes, they overact all the parts. It is quite interesting.

Lyllia said...

I lived in Rome for about a year. I remember a TV commercial that played on the local channels over and over and over again. It was a beautiful sight of a waterfall.. then, suddely, a naked girl emerged and walked over to the camera. It was a commercial for Fiat - the car was shown for about 1.2 seconds of the entire 30 second piece. I always wondered just how effective this marketing strategy was for Fiat! I have to say that I love Italian cinema... the heat, the passion. True, comedy (and commercials) might not be their forte, but the cinematograhpy is gorgeous.