Monday, September 04, 2006

a favorite movie. still.


I had not seen "The Idolmaker" for over 20 years and last night I saw it again. It has always been a favorite of mine. I remember seeing it when I was in college at the Grandview theater in St.Paul, Minnesota and really liking it. I liked the music, the way it reflects the music scene in the pre-Beatles rock world when music talent had nothing with to do with success in pop music. It was all about looks (kind of it like it is now).

I also really like the performance of Ray Sharkey as an Italian-American guy who makes a living creating pop idols. I imagined that Ray Sharkey was going to be the next big actor, the DeNiro of the 1980's. Sadly the movie was a flop. Sharkey became a drug addict, ended up in grade Z movies and died of AIDS, although he did create a sort of tv icon with his supporting role in a tv series called "Wiseguy".

Anyway, it was great seeing this wonderful little movie after so long. I still love the silly music, the corny but wonderful Italian restaurant scenes and the once in a lifetime performance by the "should have been famous" Ray Sharkey.

It's on DVD. You can order it from CD Universe.

No comments: