Sunday, September 17, 2006

On renewing friendships

The other day I finally found the e-mail of a long lost friend. Someone who was very close to me in the late 1980's. I mean, we would see each other every day and talk about life all that. We lost touch around 1990 and had not heard from her since then. Well, I wrote to her. And gave her an update of my life and of common friends. She wrote back, happy to hear from me and asked about a couple of other friends. I wrote and told her about them. End of e-mails.

Once again I realized something. You can't go back to your old friends like that. Yes, you can keep in touch. But you can't renew an old friendship to the way it was. It is naive to think that the old magic is going to be back. All the things you had in common are gone, they are years in the past. Each person has a different reality, some new things to face in their everyday life.You can talk about the good old days for half an hour, but that's it.

I don't regret I was able to get in touch with my old friend.It was great to know she was doing well. And I thank the new technology that now makes it possible to find long lost friends. But no amount of technology can bring back things the way they were. Ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muy cierto. La realidad es que "people grow apart". Conservo mis amistades de high school y a veces siento que no tenemos mucho en común, creo que lo que nos ha mantenido unidas es que no hemos perdido contacto en todos estos años. Nunca perdimos la cotidianidad, aunque a veces esta "cotidianidad" sólo consista de una llamada al mes.
Con las amistades que he dejado de hablar por años, me ha pasado como a ti con tu amiga.

Di said...

It's the hard and sad truth, but over time, people do grow apart. But my view is that, as you grow up and mature and get in contact with them again, though as much of a shock as it may be to see how much your friends (and you yourself) have changed, it's also kind of fun and enlightening. It's also the easiest way to see how the passage of time affects everything.