Saturday, April 01, 2006

when there was no rock in Puerto Rico


I don't know why. But I remembered something last night while listening to some music. I recalled the time in my youth when there was no rock n'roll in Puerto Rico. It was the late 1970's when all rock stations went disco. They all did. Suddenly it seemed there were just a few of us who listened to rock music. But how could we know what was new in the genre? Cable tv had 3 channels. There were no satellite music channels. No Internet radio. If you liked rock you could not hear the music. For a couple of years it was like that. No Springsteen. No Lennon.No McCartney. No Rolling Stones.

It was a really strange feeling living in a place with no access to the most popular music in the world. Suddenly someone at school said that at nights there was a faint signal from an FM station in Ponce called WZAR who would play rock. I remembered trying to set my FM antenna to try to get the signal. But I lived in a small building surrounded by huge ones. So I could barely hear it. But it was there. Faint. Full of static. But it was back. The music I loved.

No comments: