Saturday, September 13, 2008

high school reunions


Next year marks the 30th anniversary of my graduation from High School. I didn't go to my 10th and 20th reunion parties. Somehow I didn't feel like seeing people from that period of my life. I was never part of the cool group there. My friends and I were the under the radar crowd. So I had no sense of nostalgia that would drive me to one of these events. The few people from high school that I cared about, I would occasionally see here and there. The rest, well, I didn't care much about them.

Then something interesting happened this year. I went to my niece's high school graduation and somehow felt a sense of nostalgia about the old high school. I sang the school song and for a few minutes felt part of the whole place. I never thought I would feel like that.

Now, I'm part of my class Facebook group and I'm seriously considering attending the event, especially if some of my old friends living in the Mainland decide to attend. 30 years down the road, I finally feel at ease with my high school years. Took me a while, I know. But better late than never.

No comments: