Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jason and the Argonauts


Today I felt like revisiting a movie from my childhood. A movie I saw on tv when I was a boy and that blew me away. It's "Jason and the Argonauts", a masterpiece by Ray Harryhausen. This is probably the best Saturday afternoon movie. It is hugely entertaining and fun. Sure some of the acting is way over the top, but that makes it even more special. And speaking of special, the special effects are still as wonderful as ever. The stop motion animation here is truly awesome. Just look at that scene when Hercules steals gold from the Talos vault. The Talos statue comes to life and you can tell how mad it is. In way, the creatures by Harryhausen are the best actors. They say so much with only a slight glance, with simply a low-key movement. They are the real stars here and make very clear just what a genius Harryhausen really was.

So take a Saturday afternoon, get some popcorn and some soft drinks and enjoy the marvels of the one and only "Jason and the Argonauts".

1 comment:

Kofla Olivieri said...

This is my favorite movie of all times. When I was a kid remember seeing it at the movie theaters in Teatro Balboa in Mayaguez. I agree, the movie effects are still outstanding!