Saturday, July 28, 2007

about forced vacations


I am obssesive with my vacation days. I want every one of them to be special. Which means that I want to spend every one of them traveling. Just being away from home. And I had already made my vacation plans so I wouldn't have to spend a single day at home. But this week, the company that I work at forced me to take two days off. Something that made me really upset. I tried fighting it. I said I would work both days and that this way I could keep my plans unaltered. Slowly I realized you can't fight City Hall. The administration's silence on the matter of my complaint meant one thing. Hey buddy, you take the two days off was the message. And I acted accordingly.

Strangely enough I have enjoyed the time away from work. I have been going to the beach. I have been doing some reading and here I am doing a little bit of writing. Every day has been a lazy one. It's been nice to see the hours go by. In peace and quiet. It's also been great that San Juan is basically empty these days, everyone is on vacation elsewhere. So taking the days off was good, after all. Maybe it's better not to plan things so much and just go with the flow and enjoy.
Still, taking a plane somewhere would have been nice.

No comments: