Friday, July 28, 2006

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof



Dr. Baugh: Sometimes I wish I had a pill to make people disappear.

I must admit I had never seen this movie based on the classic play by Tennessee Williams. I had seen bits and pieces of it on Turner Classic Movies, but last night I decided to watch it all.

Like all Tenessee Williams plays, it is set in the South. It deals with a dying patriarch and how his whole family sucks off to him so they will included on his will. All then do that except his tortured, alcoholic son. The acting by Paul Newman and Burl Ives is excellent and for us used to seeing Elizabeth Taylor as Michael Jackson's creepy friend it is amazing to see her acting so well and looking so beautiful.

The one thing that didn't ring true was the upbeat ending of the movie. Supposedly the play has a much more downbeat ending, but this was Hollywood 1958 and things had to end in a positive way, I guess.

No comments: