Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Slumdog kids


While watching the Oscars the other night I couldn't help thinking about the slum kids from Mumbai who star n "Slumdog Millionaire". They created magic in that movie, they were paid something like 500 euros and they remained living in the atrocious conditions of the Mumbai slums. And here they were at the Oscars, smiling, saying hello to all the big, glamorous stars. And today they may be on the way back to their life of extreme poverty. It's hard for me to comprehend this kind of situation. I hope they won't be forgotten. Someone for Fox should create some kind of fund for them. As I look at their smiles I don't want to see them in ten years in an E! documentary about their hard life or early deaths. Maybe someone is making sure they prosper. I do hope so. I even pray so.

1 comment:

lostfoundagain said...

yeah, its kind of sick how we take advantage of others just because they are poor and naive and 500 euro sounds like a lot to them. If that was an white American or European child, even with no prior acting experience, they'd have been paid a hell of a lot better.