Monday, December 22, 2008

Photographs


I have been scanning old photographs to place them in a digital phot frame that I will give my parents for Christmas. Maybe it's the season and the fact that I'm listening to a cable music channel that plays Christmas music, but I can't help but be moved by all the old photographs. First, when I look at the people who are no longer here. But here they are in these pictures, most of them taken on Sundays when all the family would get together and have lunch. Here they are dressed literally in their Sunday best. They are all there, smiling, going about their life. Facing their days like I am now.

Then there are the people who are still alive, but here they are so young. Probably younger than I am now. Smiling, wearing the latest fashions.

And hitting me on the face was the passage of time. And how fast it goes by. All the people in those photos were probably thinking so too. But there were place to go, gatherings to enjoy. Because against time, it's all we can do.

1 comment:

lostfoundagain said...

It's interesting to go through old photos and all the memories and feelings that it brings up. I'm a bit jealous because I actually have no old photos of myself or my family. I left my parents house really quickly and didnt think to take any with me.

And it's weird how time goes by. In one way I feel like 16 was just yesterday, that's when I left my parents and when my own life really started. Sometimes I still feel like I am 16. On the other hand, it feels like ages ago, like a lifetime ago. It's the same with the other big events of my life, like the split with my ex. I find it confusing sometimes how I can feel both things at the same time but I can't really explain why.