Sunday, August 26, 2007

walking and remembering



These days I have been trying to learn how to use my new Canon XT camera, my first "real" camera. So yesterday I decided to take a walk by Santurce and take photos. While stopping at the Calle del Parque, I decided to take some shots of the old movie theaters there. One of them (Music Hall) has been repaired and looks great, the other (Radio City) is abandoned and to add insult to injury, there are pigeon cages where the marquee used to stand.

I loved these two theaters. At the Music Hall, I used to see all the Walt Disney movies when I was a kid. They specialized in that kind of movie. They also used to show MGM festivals in which they would re-release old movies such as "The Time Machine" and "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm". I recall that my favorite place to sit there was in the second floor balcony. Wonder if its still there after the remodeling.

The Radio City was a huge 1960's type theater. It had a huge screen and huge curtains that would open up slowly before the main feature began. It gave even the worst movies an aura of greatness. Many of the great blockbusters used to play there. The lines for movies like "Jaws" were enormous. Between blockbusters they used to show horror moves such as my personal favorite "The Abominable Dr. Phibes".

Anyway, it was an interesting walk. I may take it again next week, just looking around and taking photos.

No comments: