Monday, August 06, 2007

I am stuck in the 70's....


I read somewhere that we always love more movies one sees when one is a kid. One feels a particular fondness for them. And I'm finding this to be true these days. I am constantly watching movies from the 1970's.Maybe because it was the most fascinating period in American cinema. And it was the most experimental, interesting decadein cinema (until George Lucas dumbed everything down.) And maybe it's because those movies remind me of a time when my life was simpler and angst-free.

I saw "Blue Water, White Death" at the old Metropolitan theater in Santurce. I remember being blown away by it for several reasons. Well, two of them, really. A scene in which divers leave their shark cage and swim among sharks. I couldn't believe how crazy that was. And the scene when they finally find the Great White Shark and the shark basically tries to tear apart the shark cages. And almost succeeds. Watching the movie again, 35 years later, I am still amazed at it.

So I had my nostalgic moment. And further proof of how great movies were way back then.

1 comment:

Samuel Medina said...

Everybody feels the same about old movies, specially nostalgic. But would it have been the same if we had watched those movies at this time and age? Who knows?