Tuesday, May 29, 2007

movies I saw this weekend



This weekend I saw two very different but very interesting movies.
First, there was "Play Dirty" stariing Michael Caine, one of the most cynical war movies ever made. The kind of movie that a Hollywood focus group would hate. In it, a group of criminals are sent on a mission to destroy some oil deposits in North Africa during WWII. This sounds a lot like "The Dirty Dozen", but it isn't. There is not a sympathetic character here. These are real criminals doing the work. And the officers and generals don't fare any better. Everyone is "playing dirty". And the ending, I won't even begin to write about it.

I am a big fan of Somerset Maughm. "Of Human Bondage" is one of my favorite books. One of those books that you read at the right moment in your life and can change you. SO I was looking forward to this movie based on his lesser known "The Painted Veil". And I was not disappointed. This is one great movie with excellent acting. It's about love, marriage and simply being human. I wonder why this movie did not pick any Academy Awards (maybe because it is actually a good movie?). Anyone catch this one on DVD or Video On Demand.

No comments: