Sunday, March 11, 2007

A discovery


One of the great things about movie watching is that once in a blue moon one discovers a great movie. And the other night, while watching Turner Classic Movies, I did just that. I had never heard of this movie although I had seen movies by the directing team of Pressburger and Powell such as "The Red Shoes" and "Peeping Tom".

It is a simple tale, as most wonderful movies are. A young woman who has her whole life figured out decides to marry a rich man twice her age. On the way to her wedding, she gets stranded ina Scottish fishing vilage where she meets a Naval officer and suddenly her foolproof plan goes astray. I know this sound like a Cameron Diaz chick flick, but it isn't. This is a movie about the most basic things in life. About love. About happiness. And about realizing that life has a way of changing your plans, sometimes into something more suitable for you.

The Scottish village is truly beautiful and is part of the movie's charm. And there most be something about them that attracts me to them since my favorite movie "Local Hero" is also set in one.

The extras include a wonderful documentary about a woman who was so moved by this movie that she decided to visit the small village. The documentary also includes an interview with Marin Scorcese who considers "I Know Where I'm Going" one of his favorite movies.

No comments: