Monday, November 13, 2006

Healing through dancing


Someone mentioned to me the other day that any time things in life got tough, he would watch a Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie and suddenly everything would be fine. This coming from a person who have had a serious injury that had left him bedridden for 3 months.

So I decided to watch my first Astaire-Rogers movie in its entirety. I had seen bits and pieces of their movies on TCM, but never the whole thing. So last night I watched their first big movie together "The Gay Divorcee". And I think I understand why these movies have healing powers. The plot is very light, there are some good one liners. But the music and the dancing are something else. Their first dance scene in the movie is flawless and it flows so amazingly well. It is a scene in which basically seduces Astaire by dancing. And in a way, it is so much like a love scene that when they finish dancing, Astaire offers Rogers a cigarette.

And there's the music, the highlight which is "Night and Day" by Cole Porter.

Anyway, it was great seeing this movie. And something tells me I will be watching out for their movies on TCM.

No comments: