Tuesday, April 03, 2007

at the grindhouse


This Thursday the new Quentin Trantino-Robert Rodriguez movie "Grindhouse" starts playing here. It's a homage to the exploitation movie double features of the 1970's. The Grindhouse where the movie theaters that espcialized in that genre. Something that takes me back to the Ambassador theater in Santurce, the place where those movies played locally. All the great women in prison films played there, the cheapest horror movies from around the world, the softcore sex and violence movies of the era. For a kid in his pre-teens and early teens this was a chance to see all the violence and of course, see all the naked women. Especially the naked women, sex was still something unknown to us and these movies for better or for worse showed us a glimpse of that attractive world.

So I guess I will be one of the lucky ones who will understand what Tarantino and Rodrigez are doing in "Grindhouse". They were probably kids who felt exactly the way I did while wayching these movies. I wonder whether young people "will get" this movie.Anyway, I don't care. I just want to see it and let the movie take me back to when I was 13 at the Amabassador.

No comments: