Sunday, January 07, 2007

Bye, bye lights


Nothing says Christmas is over than the act of removing the Christmas lights from the balcony. Lights are such a symbol of the season and their removal brings home the idea that Christmas is over, gone, finito. You realize at that moment how fast time has flown by. How the other day you placed them there thinking that the season would last a long time.

Maybe that's why, I've noticed, people still have their Christmas lights on after January 6. They want to feel like it's Christmas a bit longer. They are refusing to face the fact that the "normal" year has begun again. So they leave them on for a few days, until their minds are ready to face the fact.

As for me, well, today is Sunday so it still feels like a Holiday, so I will leave the on tonight. One more night. Tomorrow, as I face a long day at work, I will remove them. And face reality. Maybe.

No comments: